You can square a range in the Ganntrader using the mouse. This is an important task to do by any serious trader of Gann. Here the range between the highest high and lowest low of Apple Computer is squared with the following procedure:
1) Make sure the Snap To function is active by pressing the <Scroll Lock> key or select Options Snap To High / Low. This will make it easier to get the mouse cursor exactly on a high or low.
2) While holding down the Left mouse button move the cursor to the first point, in this case the high at A. The cursor will snap to the high when you are on the price bar and towards the top of the bar.
4) Without releasing the Left button move the mouse to the second point. You will see a box being drawn with the price difference between point A and B displayed.
5) At any time you may release the <Alt> key.
6) When you release the Left mouse button the square will be drawn. See the second chart of Eastman Kodak. The square extends to the right.
This will produce a temporary square of this range. You can erase the square by holding down the <Alt> key and clicking the Right mouse button. The square will also erase when you start drawing another one.
Gann found that squaring of ranges as one of him most important techniques. You should always square previous ranges to find the important support and resistance points of today's market. After you square the range Ganntrader will draw a square to the right of the square with the square and the angles inside of it. If you look at the example below, you will be amazed at how accurately the square fits the market.
Eastman Kodak to COL, TSQ-64<»000509<* 51.3819, St: 0.0625 Bot: 49.25 Top: 67.6875 Wt 0.125
12/24/99 01/27 03/01 04/04 0*5/011 06/11 07/15 08/18/2000
Range is Squared
Was this article helpful?