Today, the public perception surrounding indoor mold is such that even the suspicion that a building has just a smidgen of indoor mold is enough to strike fear into the hearts of most prospective buyers and stop them from pursuing the property. The fact of the matter is that probably every residential property in the United States contains a small amount of indoor mold, especially in bathrooms. I have no qualms whatsoever about buying a property with moderate amounts of indoor mold. And I have bought options on properties in which all of the walls and ceilings in both bathrooms were black with indoor mold. I had the moldy drywall replaced by a professional and turned around and sold my options. I am not afraid of properties with moderate amounts of indoor mold because I understand what causes it to grow and how to quickly clean it up. I know that mold thrives indoors where there is moisture, still air, and darkness, and that the following three conditions must be present in order for indoor mold to grow:
1. A source of nutrients such as wood, drywall, carpeting, floor and ceiling tiles.
2. Any source of moisture.
3. An optimum temperature with high humidity.
Was this article helpful?